4.23.2009

In Honor of This American Life...

Adam and I weren't able to go to the farm tonight because we went to the live show of This American Life instead. (Really good, by the way).

So, in honor of This American Life, here's a little story. It's a farm story that has nothing to do with our plants.

The plot behind ours has been inactive so far this season. So we were a little surprised, when we arrived Wednesday evening, to see it tilled and planted. Standing in the middle of the new plants, and surrounded by a skimpy and apparently temporary fence, was a man in a suit watering his new plants.

Adam was tilling our garden at this point so the man introduced himself to me. I can't quite remember his name but I think it was Bob. Or Bill. Aside from the fact that he kept calling me "Karen" and he had a massive comb-over, he seemed very nice and we were happy to have him as a plot-neighbor.

As we were saying our goodbyes, Bob/Bill said:

By the way, when I came out the other night, your fence was knocked over. I'm pretty sure a deer did it. Anyway, I righted the fence but I though I'd let you know.

Upon arrival at our plot that night we had noticed that our back fence was ripped and a little...tilted. We weren't overly concerned because the rip is easily repairable and the fence itself was still stable. Plus, deer haven't been a problem for us and we don't have to worry about keeping them out.

So it surprised me when he said a deer must have done it. I told Bob/Bill as much to which he responded:

Oh? You haven't had a deer problem over here? Well, it was most certainly a deer. I even think I saw a mom and her baby earlier.

After telling me this news, Bob/Bill tells me they are putting in (get this) an electric fence! To keep the deer out. Last year, they had a plot on the other side of the farm and apparently the deer destroyed their plants. I'm thinking an electric fence is a little extreme for a garden plot, but I keep that opinion to myself.

Later in the evening, I am talking to some other plot-neighbors of ours and I warn them about the impending electric fence. My plot neighbor says:

Oh, I meant to tell you, I was out here the other night and Bob/Bill had just finished planting his tomatoes. He was running his hose along the aisle between your plots and fell over your fence. I saw the whole thing! Then, he put the fence back and left.

Can you believe it? Bob/Bill is a lying liar! I guess I could be mad but I just find the whole thing funny. You don't expect to encounter bold duplicity at a community garden but there you have it.

Needless to say, Bob/Bill with his electric fence, comb-over and pants-on-fire will be an interesting addition to our little neighborhood.