6.18.2008

Picture of the Day


Small Harvest

This is the last harvest we took before we both went out of town for the weekend+. What you don't see in the picture are the mounds of arugula and basil that we gave to a farm friend. I sincerely hope some of our neighbors harvest some things while we are gone.

Otherwise, I'm going to come back to a jungle on Thursday when I return.

I have been in Nashville to greet the birth of my new niece, Jacqueline Elisabeth. She was born Monday at 12:38am and is beautiful. Adam is out of town working at a science camp and he'll be back this coming weekend.

I just hope I don't destroy the garden in the meantime. Make no mistake, Adam is the brains of this little operation of ours. I'm merely the help.

I weed. I water. I plant. I harvest.

I basically do what I'm told.

Mind you, some ideas were mine. The flowers, for instance, were my idea. Both what we planted and where we planted them.

The basic garden layout, with the circular herb/flower beds in the center, was also my idea.

But how often should we fertilize? Haven't a clue.

What pollinates a squash but eats a bean? Don't ask me.

For the sake of our hobby, our blog, our free vegetables and our confidence in our future livelihood, I hope the garden survives until Adam's return.

I'm keeping these weed-picking fingers of mine crossed.