6.21.2008

A mixed bag and some mixed feelings

I didn't much like being at the farm today.

It was hot and the mosquitoes were biting and I kept inadvertently harvesting the wrong things. Grabbing the stalk of a flower that hadn't bloomed instead of the one that had. Or yanking off a pod of okra that was a bit too small.

So I wasn't feeling the farm today. And it wasn't feeling me either.

I was attacked by a garden stake.

Twice.


Despite all of this, we had a great harvest today. Along with the now-regular harvest of collards, kale, herbs, cucumbers and squash, we were able to harvest (for the first time!) the following:

Flowers



Okra


And tomatoes.

Of which I don't have a picture. On account of the fact that I was too busy cursing that garden stake. For the second time.

Today was a first in other ways too. We had our first sunflower bloom:


And our first corn feather:


In light of all its bounty, I suppose I can forgive the farm its many faults today. I'll give it another chance and go back tomorrow.

But I'm bringing bug spray (non-DEET of course). And perhaps an ax as punishment for one particular garden stake.

UPDATE: Adam tells me that what I called "corn feathers" are actually called "corn tassles." Silly me.