6.02.2008

Curried Radish-Coleslaw

I'll admit, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with all the radishes we will soon have. I took this first (small) harvest home, washed them and stared at them.


What do you do with radishes?

I'm not a huge radish fan but maybe that's because I've only really had them sliced in a bad iceberg lettuce-filled salad.

It was a hot day so I didn't want to roast them, although I've heard tell they are good roasted.

So, instead of an iceberg lettuce salad....I did coleslaw. Here's the recipe.

Warning for this and all future recipes: I don't really measure. I dash, pour, mix and taste. Then I dash, pour, mix and taste again. The measurements listed below are estimates.



1 small head cabbage, cut into strips
10 radishes, cut into small pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1-2 Tbs Vegenaise (or mayonnaise, if that's your poison)
2 Tbs curry powder
1/2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1-2 tsp turmeric
1-2 tsp mustard powder
1-2 tsp paprika
1 tsp sage
dash of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate. (This definitely got better over time.)



We put some on Boca patties and ate them en route to the farm. If I made it again, I'd add green bell peppers instead of yellow and I'd add a minced red onion for a little kick.