7.11.2008

70's Solar Tea


We set out to make some sun tea and so we "borrowed" my mom's sun tea jar. I say "borrowed" because, since my mom hasn't made sun tea in years and has no plans to make it in the future, the jar is most likely ours now.

I remember this jar from when I was a kid but I forgot that,instead of being a mere sun tea jar, this is a "SOLAR TEA" jar. "SOLAR TEA" sounding, in my head, like a Don Pardo announcement.

The last time either of us had sun tea was when were doing an internship at an organic farm in North Carolina. Honestly, in terms of thirst quenching-ness, nothing comes close to sun tea on a hot day.

In preparation for our sun tea, we harvested stevia from our garden. Stevia is a natural sweetener but it is very strong so we would only need 1 or 2 leaves. We are drying several bunches of it in our apartment but I'm not sure what to do with it once it has dried. I guess that's another day, another post.



We also harvested some mint from just-outside-our-garden. Our own mint isn't quite up to snuff yet but Adam found some wild mint growing around our fence.
It smelled like catnip to me but I trusted the botanist in Adam and picked it.


Once we got home, we just shredded up the leaves and wrapped them in a piece of cheesecloth.


Then we set it on our fire-escape and, after a few hours, we had our sun tea. The mint was STRONG and the stevia wasn't but it was good.

Turns out, SOLAR tea made on a fire-escape off of a small apartment is just as good as sun tea made on a picnic table on a farm.


And that is good to know.